During the planning stages, prior to the Summits, the following 9 groups were identified as stakeholders in maternity care.
- Home Birth Consumers (parents and potential parents considering this option)
- Consumer Representatives (including doulas, childbirth educators, childbirth and women’s health care reform and information agencies)
- Home Birth Midwives (CPM, CNM, LM, CM, traditional, etc.)
- Maternal-Child Health Collaborating Providers (including paediatrics, labor and delivery nurses, neonatal care providers, CNMs who facilitate access for hospital admission or consultation)
- Obstetricians and OB Family Practice Physicians
- Leaders with expertise in Health Care Models, Systems, and Hospital Administration
- Insurance (liability and payors)
- Health Policy, Legislators, Regulators, and Ethicists
- Public Health, Research, and Education
Summit delegates were chosen to represent each of the stakeholder groups. Delegates may belong to more than one of the groups, and had the opportunity to contribute their perspective from any they choose. At the 2014 Summit, stakeholder representatives explored achievements and opportunities since the previous Summits in 2011 and 2013.